Dr. Hakan Yaman is Professor and former Chairman of the Department of Family Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Akdeniz in Antalya, Turkey. He is specialized in Family Medicine and a clinical trainer. Dr. Yaman provides clinical services in outpatients clinics of Akdeniz University and his research interests are primarily focused on the preventive care of elderly people in Turkey.
Dr. Hakan YAMAN has a strong background on travel medicine and injury prevention. He published articles on migration/tourist health in international peer-reviewed journals and gave lectures in international conferences (WONCA) on prevention of travel injuries and travel medicine in elderly tourists. He worked at different EU funded studies on injury prevention and safety promotion (EUropean NEtwork for Safety among Elderly (EUNESE) (Grant Agreement: 2003316): development and action planning for Injury Control and Safety Promotion among Senior Citizens by 27 organisations in 19 countries. EU Health and Consumer Protection Directorate-General. 2004-2008., Injury Prevention Working Party (IP-WP), DG Sanco, EC (Member) (Grant agreement no. 2003313), 2005-2007., Injury Database Pilot Implementation, DG Sanco, EC (Grant agreement no. 2005104), 2008.), European Emergency Data-based System for Information on, Detection and Analysis of Risks and Threats to Health – SIDARTHa, Public Health Executive Agency, EC (Grant agreement no. 20072008), 2008-2011 and coordinated the establishment of the first WHO designated “Safe Community” in Turkey (Safe Community Kepez) in 2011. He co-authored the “WHO Age-Friendly PHC Toolkit” in 2008 and is promoting this toolkit in his academic work and worked on a pliot implementation of “Aging-Friendly City” in Döşemealtı, Antalya, Turkey in 2014.
After serving almost 20 years at different Universities as an academician and Full-Professor, he works and teaches privately in Antalya. He is interested in complementary medicine and holds the certificates of acupuncture, phytotherapy, hirudotherapy, and Mesotherapy awarded by the Turkish Ministry of Health.
He is a devoted scuba diver and holds a three star CMAS Brevet/Certificate and is a deputy trainer of the Turkish Sports for All Federation.
Turkish: Native Language
English: Speaking (High Proficiency), Reading (High Proficiency),
Listening (High Proficiency), Writing (High Proficiency)
German: Speaking (High Proficiency), Reading (High Proficiency),
Listening (High Proficiency), Writing (High Proficiency)
GSM: 0090 536 320 99 33
Scientific Editorial Activities:
BMC Family Practice, Associate Editor
Cochrane Collaboration, Acute Respiratory İnfections Group, Consumer and Communication Group, Reviewer
Rural and Remote Health, International Electronic Journal of Rural Remote Health Research, Education, Practice and Policy, Deakin University, Australia, (Member of Editorial Board)
Mental Health in Family Medicine, UK (Member of Editorial Board) 2008- 2015.
Case Reports in Medicine, (Member of Editorial Board)
International Journal of Family Medicine, (Member of Editorial Board)
OA Family Medicine
Open Sports Medicine Journal, Bentham Press (Member of Advisory Editorial Board), 2008- 2015
Memberships in Networks/ Organisations:
Turkish Society of Family Physicians
WONCA, SIG Elderly Care, Convener 2008- 2015.
WONCA Working Party of Mental Health, 2005-cont.
WONCA, SIG Migration Health (Former Travel Medicine), Member
International Federation of Primary Care Research Networks (IFPCRN)
European Academy of General Practice Teachers
European General Practice Research Network
Some selected publications:
- Ungan M, Yaman H, Taheri N. The Prevalence Of Antibodies To Hepatitis A Among Preschool Children In An Urban Setting In Turkey. Journal Of Tropical Pediatrics 2002;48:180-182. (SCI-Expanded)
- Yaman H, Kut A, Yaman A, Ungan M. Health-Problems Among Un-Refugees At A Family Medical Center In Ankara/Turkey. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care 2002;20:85-87. (SCI-Expanded) .
- Yaman H, Yayli G. Perception Of Physicians On Infection Control Activities In Turkish Hospitals: A Cross-Sectional Survey. American Journal Of Infection Control 2003;31(5):325-328. (SCI-Expanded)
- Ungan M, Yaman H. AIDS knowledge and educational needs of technical university students in Turkey. Patient Education and Counseling 2003; 51: 163–167 (SCI-Expanded)
- Yayli G, Yaman H, Demirdal T. Asymptomatic Bacteriuria Rates In School Children: Results From A Rural City In Turkey. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2003;49(4):229-230 (SCI-Expanded)
- Kara IH, Topçu Sayın NG, Demir D, Erdem Ö, Yıldız N, Yaman H. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Among Nurses And Healthcare Workers In A Research Hospital In The Southeast Region of Turkey. Social Behavior and Personality 2008;36(5): 585-590. (SSCI)
- Güneş ED, Yaman H. Transition to Family Practice in Turkey. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions 2008; 28(2): 106-112 (SCI-Expanded)
- Soler JK, Yaman H, Esteva M, Dobbs F et al. Burnout in European Family Doctors: The EGPRN Study. Family Practice 2008; 25(4): 245-65 (SCI)
- Dobbs F, Soler JK, Sandholzer H, Yaman H, Petrazzuoli F, Peremans L, Van Royen P. The development of research capacity in Europe through research workshops--the EGPRN perspective. Fam Pract. 2009 Aug;26(4):331-4.
- Azevedo P, Correia de Sousa J, Bousquet J, Bugalho-Almeida A, Del Giacco SR, Demoly P, Haahtela T, Jacinto T, Garcia-Larsen V, van der Molen T, Morais-Almeida M, Nogueira-Silva L, Pereira AM, Rodríguez MR, Silva BG, Tsiligianni IG, Yaman H, Yawn B, Fonseca JA; WHO Collaborative Center for Asthma and Rhinitis,Montpellier. Control of Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma Test (CARAT): dissemination and applications in primary care. Prim Care Respir J. 2013 Mar;22(1):112-6. doi: 10.4104/pcrj.2013.00012. PubMed PMID: 23412110.
- Yaman A, Yaman H. Dementia Subtypes in Antalya, Turkey: A Retrospective Study. Postgraduate Medicine 2014; 125(5):109-112.
- Riederer P, Korczyn AD, Ali SS, Bajenaru O, Choi MS, Chopp M, Dermanovic-Dobrota V, Grünblatt E, Jellinger KA, Kamal MA, Kamal W, Leszek J, Sheldrick-Michel TM, Mushtaq G, Meglic B, Natovich R, Pirtosek Z, Rakusa M, Salkovic-Petrisic M, Schmidt R, Schmitt A, Sridhar GR, Vécsei L, Wojszel ZB, Yaman H, Zhang ZG, Cukierman-Yaffe T.The diabetic brain and cognition. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2017 Nov;124(11):1431-1454. doi: 10.1007/s00702-017-1763-2. Epub 2017 Aug 1. Review.
- Ungan M, Yaman H, Tahari N. The Seroprevalence of Specific Antibodies to Hepatitis A Virus in A Turkish Population [Letter]. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2002; 14 (9): 1033-1034 (SCI-Expanded)
- Yaman H. Travel Medicine In Turkey: Current State and Implications for the Future [Letter]. Journal of Travel Medicine 2003;10 (1): 68-69 (SCI-Expanded)
- Yaman H. Family Practice in Turkey: Observations on the Pilot Implementation. Scand J PHC. 2016;34(1):81-82 (SCI-Expanded)
- Yaman H. Correspondence: Evaluation of health care services provided for older adults in primary health care centers and its internal environments. Saudi Medical Journal 2016; 17 (1): 102. (SCI-Expanded)
- Yaman H. Exploring dementia management attitudes in primary care: a key informant survey to primary care physicians in 25 European countries. International Psychogeriatrics. Cambridge University Press; 2018;:1–2.
- Yaman H. The Elderly Care Special Interest Group : Opinions and Future Plans. Middle East Journal of Age and Aging. 2018; 15(1):16-19. DOI: 10.5742/MEJAA.2018.93291
- Yaman H. Frailty in Family Practice: A Survey of Caregivers of Frail Elders. Middle East Journal of Age and Aging . 2017; 14(3):3-9. DOI: 10.5742/MEJAA.2017.93090
- Yorgancı M, Yaman H. The Preparedness of Primary Health Care Centers for Critical Emergency Situations in South-West Turkey. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2008;23(4):342-345. (Index Medicus)
- Soler JK, Carelli F, Lionis C, Yaman H. The wind of change. After the European definition- orienting undergraduate medical education towards general practice/family medicine. European Journal of General Practice 2007;13(4):248-51. (Index Medicus